A History of St. Pauls Church, Cwm
Our Baptismal Registers do not go further back than 1900 and the first recorded Baptism is that of Wilfred Henry Sayce, son of John and Elizabeth Sayce of Cendle Terrace, Cwm. The date is March 26, 1900. But it is more than probable that baptisms were conducted in the church before that date.
A register of deaths was also kept, but for a very short period. In fact, only nine entries are made, the first being Thomas Tipper, aged ten months of 201, Tailis Town, buried at Ebbw Vale Cemetery. It is interesting that out of the nine entries one person reached the age of 68. The rest were 35 and under.
Christ Church had at this time two curates, one of whom served Cwm.
Our first Service Book (records of the services taken in church, together with collections and the names of clergy) dates back to the incumbency of the Rev. Daniel Lewis, who was inducted to the living of Christ Church on July 31, 1886. The curate in charge at this time was the Rev. Joseph Waugh. Albert Jordan was the curate attached to Christ Church.
Our first register dates from 1894 to 1899. The vicariate of the Rev. Daniel Lewis lasted from 1886 to 1899 when he became Rector of Caerphilly.
In August, 1894, we have the first entry of the Rev. W. Coleman Williams, vicar of the parish of Christ Church.
T. R. Rees, who had been curate since 1891, left in the same month and was followed by the Rev. R. G. Morris, who, with W. T. Jones, had been ordained to the Diaconate on September 23, 1894 and licensed to Christ Church.
There seems to have been a slight change of policy under the Rev. Coleman Williams with regard to the staffing of St. Pauls. Instead of allowing one curate to be in charge, the signatures of the Vicar and the curate, A S A Richards, R. G. Morris and William Teague Jones follow one another quite frequently, but with no set scheme.
During the period from August, 1894 to October, 1896, the register was very badly kept and it is difficult to glean anything from it, except that one new name is added to the names already mentioned, that of W. Joiliffe Thomas.
From the end of 1896 there was a reversion to the former practice of placing St. Pauls under a curate in charge. The Rev. W. T. Jones filled this position, and then from January, 1897 until he left in 1899 the district was in the charge of the Rev. William Jones, who probably came to the parish for this purpose.